Wednesday 14 December 2011

Jolly Stocking Christmas

Tonight we had Cara's Christmas Concert at school, so we've had a lovely Christmas song filled night. Now I have Michael Buble's "Holly Jolly Christmas" song in my head, so I thought that this card would be perfect to blog about.
It's from my October SAS class (AKA the month I went stocking mad with our new stocking stamp set & matching punch!). I got the idea in my head that the stocking could substitute for a 'J', then I realised the stocking stamp was actually facing the other way. Undeterred, I decided to use patterned paper instead of the stamp, so it would face the 'right way' & began thinking of  Christmassy words to use it on.  I cut the remaining pieces from riding hood red card & mounted the whole stocking on dimensionals. The remaining letters were cut with the Timeless Type letters & the sentiment is from the 'Four the Holidays' set. This card also marked the return of the fabulous Top Note die.

One important note about making a J - you need to punch the stocking with the wrong side of the DSP facing you so the right side forms the J.

You might also realise I used some retired DSP on this card - I loooooved this DSP (as did my class regulars) & bought a couple of extra packs before it retired, so I thought it was a shame not to use it.

I did make another version using our current Christmas DSP - 'Letters to Santa' (& some of my fave spotty Patterns DSP pack too), but realised I wouldn't have enough for the class...but you get to see it here anyway.
I think that covers everything I need to say, so I'll say bye for now. I'll be back again with more stocking fun next time.
Inky wishes, Di

PS: I have a confession to make about "Four the Holidays"- I was initially a little put off buying it included the ubiquitous 'Happy Holidays' sentiment, which we just don't use in Australia. BUT, I got over myself & realised it had 3 very useful sentiments (Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings & Peace on Earth) in fonts I love (& you know I'm a  sucker for a great font) for only $24.95. I'm so glad I got it, as I've use it heaps..which you'll see over the next week or so. You can see the set in the online catalogue HERE

Supplies (All SU unless stated)
Jolly Seasons Greetings
Stamps: Four the Holidays
Card/Paper: old olive, whisper white, riding hood red card, Regals Patterns DSP (riding hood red spot), retired DSP (name completely escapes me!)
Accessories: gold brad, dotted scallop ribbon - olive
Tools: Big Shot, Top Note die, Timeless Type Junior Alphabet dies, stocking punch

Jolly Seasons Greetings from Santa
Stamps: Four the Holidays
Card/Paper: old olive, whisper white, riding hood red card, Regals Patterns DSP (riding hood red spot), Letters to Santa DSP
Accessories: basic rhinestone, dotted scallop ribbon - olive
Tools: Big Shot, Top Note die, Timeless Type Junior Alphabet dies, stocking punch

2 comments:

H2 :) said...

Di, this is so clever! Love your stocking "J"! Great cards. TFS :)

KimB said...

HI Di :)

love your idea, and how you worked out how to do it, of using the stocking for the J. I've really enjoyed looking through all your Christmas cards. Some great ideas there!!
Kim x